Monday, July 16, 2007

Meyer dress, blackwork

Well I was working on my blackwork project and downloaded some photos and browsed on the 3rd. I saw this one photo that intrigued me and by the 6th I was in love with it and had to "re-create it". And no, itis not in my time period or the country in which I tend to move toward in garb making and research. (Elizabethan England usually). It is a 1526 German dress with blackwork, counted work, smocking/pleats, and what appears to be a stumpwork headdress.

I call it the Meyer Dress since it is in an alter painting by Holbein the Younger of the Meyer family. So over the past week I have gone through and re-created the blackwork templates for the four different blackwork designs on the sleeves of her dress (which will also work well into my blackwork research project). And I did research on designing the geometrical counted work motif from the collar. I purchased silk threads, and will be doing a sweeties back trying out the geometrical design to see if it is working. If it works I will do the collar and the trim aroudn the neck first and applique them after. Then I will do the blackwork pieces and applique theym on.

I am doing this this way A) I don't have enough linen or funds to buy linen enough to make the entire dress at this time. B) I am going to make this all by hand, hand, hand that includes the emboirdery, sewing and such so I need to do research on how the gown was made, and create a mock-up and size it and then put it together. But if I work on the embroidery separately and then put it all together I might finish all the parts about the same time.

Photos are on their way!!! I created a photobucket account I just have to figure out how to create and link the urls. :) So we are working on that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.